On August 15, 2019 Eddy Corona from Outdoor Experience 4 All & Wounded Warrior Outdoors called me and said he had a donated archery Bull Elk tag in Arizona’s unit 10 if I was interested. I replied, “hell yeah I’m interested”. My buddy Paul Baird contacted his friends from A3 Trophy Hunts LLC to find out the conditions in the area. A3 told him that this area had a phenomenal wet spring and the antler growth should be epic. Paul went ahead and booked with A3 and put together a 7 day guided hunt on the Boquillas Ranch, aka “Big Bo”!

Let me back up a moment and explain why Mr. Corona contacted me in the first place. I am a retired Army Combat Arms Officer of 27 years. I have sustained a couple of injuries on a deployment in Afghanistan in 2005-2006. Now with a few physical limitations, I qualify for what is called Challenged Hunter Access/Mobility Permit (CHAMP) in Arizona. Mr. Corona squared me away with a “donated” Bull tag that an out of state hunter would wait 15-20 years to draw! Paul Baird coordinated for me to have a professional guide with A3 Trophy Hunts and this quickly became a “Once in a Lifetime” hunt.

The Hunt Begins

Paul and I met up with George Garcia from A3 and began at 0400, September 20, 2019. Within minutes, George was talking back and forth with a couple of bulls. Suddenly there was a deep bugle from a mature bull. I was chomping at the bit to go after him but the wind was blowing inconsistently through the canyon. After a while the bugles stopped and George whispered, “let’s go get that bull!”. We were able to creep within 50 yards or so of this bull which had bedded down. With a deep growl, the bull let us know we were not welcome. George set me up in the path the bull would approach, set Paul up with a camera, then retreated about 20 yards to simulate another bull thrashing about. My adrenaline was pumping and after a few moments of silence, nothing happened! This old and wise bull must have winded us, heard us, or simply sensed something was wrong and slipped away quietly. The hike back was a somber moment for me yet George very enthusiastically began planning the evening hunt.

That afternoon we set up in a canyon trail headed to a dirt tank. Just before dark a mature bull bugled on top of the mountain above and behind us. We could hear him pushing his cows down the steep hill and George got a quick glance of this 360”+ 6×6 bull. We were in a great position with natural concealment and downwind. As they were making their way down to us we heard another hunter mutter a “quirky” cow call by the water, stopping the lead cow dead in her tracks. To my disbelief, the hunter called again and the lead cow took off like a locomotive straight up and over the mountain taking the bull with her. Had this other hunter not made a sound, these elk would have walked straight towards his blind. Shortly after, another mature bull bugled just up the hill in front of us, announcing his dominant presence to the world. I got excited as this big dude tiptoed down the hill in front of us. We were worried that the other hunter was going to blow it again. He was coming down straight to us. Suddenly he stopped at a tree just out of sight and began beating his antlers back and forth against it. He let out a low growl and continued ripping this tree apart. My heart was pounding with anticipation and I was ready for him to step out. Instead, the bull stayed out of sight until it was completely dark. We never saw him but it was super cool listening to that big bull in the dark.

Time and Pressure

The next five days there was enormous pressure from other hunters and the bulls stopped talking. It was difficult to find an area without other hunters or spotters on the mountain with us. Despite this amount of pressure, George called in several average 6×6 bulls as well as a couple of other hunters. I wanted to take a shot at one of these bulls but George held me back in search of a mature bull.

Next thing I knew it was day 6. We had not found a mature bull. George showed me a video of a bull with long beams he had spotted a few weeks earlier. It had rained earlier in the week and there were no fresh tire tracks so that evening we went to see if we could find him. George was able to get three different bulls in the distant hills to bugle for a while but they never exposed themselves. Now it was day 7, last day of archery season and we headed up the same mountain. Just before sunrise, two bulls began bugling across the canyon. George set up his massive spotting scope and it wasn’t long before he spotted a younger 5×5, a couple of cows, and the long beam bull. “That’s him,” George said. “Come take a look”. I couldn’t see the bull but did manage to see the massive antlers through the trees. The wind was at our backs, pushing our scent across the canyon and there was nothing we could do but wait for the elk to top out and move to the back side of the mountain. While we were waiting for the elk to move, the smaller bull spotted me. I don’t think he could actually see me from that distance, but he was definitely zeroed in on my position. I froze behind some brush for what seemed an eternity and he finally lost interest and moved on. Whew, I nearly blew the last chance!

A Tough Stalk

Once they moved out of sight, we began our slow and quiet movement down the mountain and across the canyon. We made our way up the other mountain only to find they had both moved on to another mountain range. Again, the wind was at our back so we quickly topped and maneuvered down the backside. Now the wind was circling through the canyon and the updraft certainly carried our sent to the bulls far above us. This is it, I thought to myself, the last stalk on the last day and the wind was not cooperating at all. We decided to adjust our approach even farther away from the two bulls so they wouldn’t hear or smell us. We came to a steep ridge dense with trees, brush, and patches of dry cactus making it almost impossible to climb up the mountain quietly. After 2 hours of stalking this bull we finally reached the plateau. George whispered, “it’s been a while since we heard a bugle and we need to find that Bull!” While catching my breath, I ranged a couple of trees in front of us when George let out a quick bugle.

The Perfect Shot

The big bull immediately screamed at us just beyond the tree I had just ranged. I could hear him headed straight for us and I took aim. Just as the bull rounded the trees I launched the arrow at center mass right behind his shoulder. I lost sight of the lighted nock as he turned and disappeared. I looked back at George and he quietly said, “You nailed him and I got it on video!” George had managed to pull out his camera and begin recording from behind me just as the bull ran between the trees. I could hardly breathe and was ecstatic to finally have an opportunity to sling an arrow at a mature bull. The shot was 50 yards with the bull quickly approaching at an angle and there was little room for error. A precise shot right behind the shoulder would do the job and anything else was sure to hit his shoulder, gut, or hip. George reviewed the recording from the camera but couldn’t confirm the placement. After a 1/2 hour we quietly searched for the arrow around the point of impact with no luck. We decided to give it some time and went back to camp to view the video on his computer. Once at camp, we watched in slow motion the lighted nock disappear into the bull, center mass, right behind the shoulder. George looked up with a smile and said “Dead Elk, let’s go get him!” We went back and found the bull curled up about 40 yards from the shot. The arrow traveled diagonally through his massive chest and was sticking out the other side. “A perfect shot” said George, “that bull just laid down right here and it was over”.

This was my first archery elk hunt at 51 years old. What an exciting, physically challenging, and extremely rewarding hunt! I was able to harvest a trophy Bull thanks to George Garcia (Teamsmackdown). It was AWESOME to watch him call in bulls. Thank you Eddy Corona for donating this Bull Elk Tag! Lastly, to my buddy of over 30 years Paul Baird, thank you brother! None of this would have been possible without you. I am truly blessed with this amazing experience and look forward to many more adventures together!

William R. Evrage
Aka – “Curly Bill”